Bill Jenaway is an experienced executive with over 45 years of experience in public safety, insurance and consulting. His extensive knowledge and expertise includes board level activity in both non-profit and profit based organizations, as well as national trade associations. He has specifically focused on strategic and long term planning assisting numerous organizations in facilitating such plans. These include financial, operational, and research oriented performance assessment, review and planning. His work has resulted in over 400 presentation, 400 articles in various publications, seven texts and four children’s books. Based in Pennsylvania, he has travelled extensively.
Dr. Jenaway recently retired as the Executive Vice President and Chief Executive Officer of VFIS Education, Training and Consulting, a division of VFIS, a Glatfelter Insurance Group company. As one of a four person leadership team, he is charged with leading and managing a team of full time and contract staff to provide risk management consulting services; develop products and services based upon loss experience, trends and developing risk situations to insured and contract clients. He is also responsible for the creation, development, implementation and management of the organization’s e-learning system used by clients, training over 20,000 persons annually. Everything implemented or analyzed utilized data to support the position taken to terminate efforts.
Prior to this, Bill spent 25 years as an insurance loss prevention executive managing staffs of several hundred technical specialists in assessing and protecting insured risks. During his time with both the Reliance Insurance Companies and CIGNA Property Casualty Companies, he was responsible for the strategic design and development and subsequent implementation of risk management services delivered by field personnel to maximize Risk Control operations thru planning and directing national risk selection, risk assessment, risk improvement, and risk management techniques to reduce the frequency and severity of losses for corporate assets and insurance clients, as well as active involvement in the corporate Disaster Management/Business Continuity program. He rose through the ranks, starting as a field loss prevention engineer. During his time as Vice President of both CIGNA and Reliance, data was a hallmark of decision making, from claims data analysis to performance measurement techniques, to implementation of metrics based operational assessments to determine work efforts of value or not.
Bill served as an "Executive on Loan" from CIGNA to provide assistance in the start up operation of the Congressional Fire Services Institute. Responsible for developing various internal operation and management programs, coordination with national fire and safety groups, developing a state networking program and collegiate intern program, as well as liaison for technical information on fire related legislation, hearings, etc. on Capitol Hill. Now serve as the organization's President.
During his time in the insurance industry, Bill also From served with King of Prussia (PA) Volunteer Fire Company, named FIRE CHIEF in 1996 and holding the position of Deputy Chief since 1988 and Assistant Chief from 1982-1988. Position entails full charge of multi-station volunteer fire and rescue service provision for community of 200,000. He was also named PRESIDENT of the organization in 2003, serving in both positions of Chief Executive Officer and Chief Operations Officer. With the consolidation of municipal volunteer fire companies into a combination system, Bill now serves as Assistant Chief of Safety for the Upper Merion Township Fire & EMS Department which uses data management for everything from scheduling to staffing levels, to performance monitoring. He served from 1969-1979 with the East Bethlehem Township Volunteer Fire Dept., rising from fire-fighter to FIRE CHIEF and FIRE MARSHAL in 1977. During this time initiated a comprehensive pre-planning program, training system, and integration of emergency medical response capabilities.
Dr. Jenaway was an original member of the select 17 member group selected via Public Law 92 to serve on the "Advisory Panel to Assess Preparedness for Terrorist Acts Involving Weapons of Mass Destruction" (a/k/a Gilmore Commission). Annually, the organization is charged by law to provide a report on the country’s readiness to deal with incidents involving weapons of mass destruction. In addition, Bill has lectured across the country on readiness related issues. He is the author of the document “Emergency Services Terrorism Preparedness Matrix”. In 2003 he served as an observer for TOPOFF II and had facilitated multiple table-top exercises regarding terrorism preparedness.
He routinely is a graduate school level adjunct professor at
• St. Joseph’s University M.S. Program in Public Safety
• California University of Pennsylvania, M.S. Program in Legal Studies
• Thomas Edison State University Public Service Program, where he also serves as the Chair of the Watson School of Public Service Curriculum Committee
• Insurance Society of Philadelphia
In addition to his executive career, Bill has served or currently serves on several advisory boards and boards of directors, including
• Congressional Fire Services Institute (current President)
• Pennsylvania Senate Commission on Fire and Emergency Medical Service Assessment and Delivery (Chair)
• Pennsylvania Fire Services Institute (past President)
• Risk Management Committee of the National Fire Protection Assn. (past Chair)
• Risk Management Committee, International Assn. of Fire Chiefs (past Chair)
• Governing Board & Executive Council - Advisory Engineering Council of the American Insurance Services Group
• Casualty Council - Underwriters Laboratories
• Board of Directors, Philadelphia Fire Department Historical Corporation
• Board of Directors, International Society of Fire Service Instructors
• Upper Merion Township Fire & Rescue Services Board
• Hunters Crossing Homeowners & Civic Assn. (past President)
The Honorable Dr. WIllIam F. Jenaway is in his second 6-year term as an elected Official, (Chairman in 2016) of the Board of Supervisors of Upper Merion Township, Montgomery County, PA; a community of 30,000-plus residents, 57,000 workers and over 250,000 daily visitors. He also is Chairman of the Upper Merion Township Foundation. In 2018, he implemented a metrics based performance monitoring program in all municipal departments to refine and analyze performance and support operation and budget requests.
Bill has provided testimony in area of loss prevention and risk management to Congressional, State, and Local legislative bodies.
Dr. Jenaway was named VOLUNTEER FIRE CHIEF OF THE YEAR in 2001 by Fire Chief magazine and the International Association of Fire Chiefs
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
William F. Jenaway has earned four college degrees.
• Associate Degree (A.S.) in Fire Science and Administration;
• Bachelor of Science Degree (B.S.) in Business Administration;
• Master of Arts Degree (M.A.) in Education (specializing in Communication); &
• Doctoral Degree (Ph.D.) in Fire and Life Safety Management.
Dr. Jenaway has professional certifications as
• Certified Fire Protection Specialist (CFPS),
• Certified Safety Professional (CSP),
• Certified Protection Professional (CPP),
• Certified Homeland Security Professional (CHS),
• Certified Fire Officer (CFO),
• Certified Training Officer (CTO), and
• Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM).